Home»What to Do»Ávila Museums

Ávila Museums

S.A.I. Catedral del Salvador - Cathedral Museum

This museum has seven rooms that are located next to the Gothic cloister of the CATHEDRAL: The Chapel of the Cardinal and adjoining rooms (Treasury Room and Missal Room), which were used as the Chapter Room and Archive. The museum entrance is through the original Chapter Sacristy, which contains various ornaments from the 13th to the 16th centuries. The sacristy bore witness to the meeting of the Commoners of Castile when they planned their uprising against Carlos V.

It offers a wealthy variety of artworks from the cathedral itself and from various parish churches in the province, classified under four headings: sculpture, painting, precious metals and embroidery work, dating from the 12th to 18th centuries.

Besides the architecture of the ante-sacristy and the chapter sacristy, there are also Romanesque and Gothic sculptures and panels; panels from the 15th century by the School of Castile; a stone altarpiece (the baptism of Christ) by Juan Rodríguez and Lucas Giraldo (16th century); paintings by the Master of Riofrío (16th century), from the Berruguete School; the portrait of Garcibáñez de Nuxia, by El Greco (16th century); missals by Juan de Carrión, dating from the 15th century; a monstrance by Juan de Arfe; and paintings associated with the schools of Titian (16th century), Murillo (17th century) and Ribera (17th century).

 

Addres: Plaza de la Catedral, s/n - 05001 - Ávila

Contact: Tel. +34 920 21 16 41

 

Teresian Museum of the Convent of St Teresa

Installed in the crypt of the CONVENT OF ST TERESA, which is the only one of its kind in Spanish religious architecture, it was built to compensate differences in height in the town and as a foundation for the building, as well as to create areas for storage, stables and burials. The crypt is set around two courtyards: a rectangular courtyard to the south and a quadrangular courtyard to the North. It was built on an elevated masonry plinth, which is used as a base for reduced arches made of brick to support a lowered groined vault made of the same material. A Vetton animal sculpture was reused for the plinth.

The museum has ten rooms with paintings, books and various objects associated with the life of the Ávila saint.

 

Address: Plaza de La Santa, 2 - 05001 - Ávila

Contact: Tel. +34 920 211 030

 

Teresian Museum of the Monastery of La Encarnación

This museum has been installed in three separate rooms of the ENCLOSED CONVENT OF LA ENCARNACIÓN and contains souvenirs and relics of St Teresa.

Room 1 contains the dowries the nuns had to take with them to join the community; Room 2 is a cell with a kitchen and objects from the period. The staircase provides access to Room 3, in which Teresa of Jesus says that Jesus appeared to her. Room 3 contains objects used by the saint and others that are associated with her. In particular, there is a drawing by John of the Cross, showing Christ on the cross.

 

Address: Paseo de la encarnación, s/n, 05005, Ávila

Contact: Tel. +34 920 211 212

 

Teresian Museum of the Convent of San José (Las Madres)

The Museum of San José stands next to the door of the CONVENT OF SAN JOSÉ. It is divided into six rooms and contains an important collection of objects that belonged to or were used by Teresa of Jesus, such as her scissor chair (Savonarola), the coffin that contained her remains while her body remained in the convent, one of her collarbones, the chair she used in the chapter room and one of her letters, etc.

 

Address: plaza de las Madres, 4, 05001, Ávla

Contacto: Tel. +34 920 222 127

 

Mysticism Interpretation Centre

This is the only centre of its kind in Europe and its aim is to introduce visitors to the phenomenon of mysticism. It stands as a compendium of universal mysticism and a work of mystic art.

It is located in a refurbished building outside the walls, very close to the Convent of St Teresa. The size of the building has not been altered; it has a modern look and its most significant feature is the prismatic roof, which filters light through an exterior laminated membrane.

It is separated into four rooms, which coincide with the four universal themes into which the creators have divided mysticism: Room 1, tradition; Room 2, knowledge of self, the place for being with oneself; Room 3, enlightenment, that of union with God; Room 4, action, the return of mysticism to the world.It shows the general features of mystic knowledge through symbols placed in the four rooms.

 

Address: Paseo del Rastro, s/n - 05001 – Ávila

Contact: Tel. +34 920 222 165

Website: www.avilamistica.com

 

"Vettonia, Culture and Nature", Vetton Interpretation Centre

This centre is located in the former stables of the PALACE OF LOS MÚJICA (TOWER OF LOS GUZMANES), where visitors can learn more about the culture of the Vettons, a people that settled in this area between the 5th century BC and the Roman occupation (mid-2nd century BC).

Its 12 rooms contain various aspects of this hill-fort people from the second Iron Age (who the Vettons were, their hill-forts and architecture, economy, society and funeral rites, etc.), with information about the hill-forts in the province.

It also has an area for temporary exhibitions containing other aspects of interest.

 

Address: Plaza del corral de las campanas, 1, 05001, Ávila

Contact: Tel. +34 920 357 102

Website: www.castrosyverracosdeavila.com

 

Museum of Oriental Art and Natural Sciences of the Royal Monastery of Santo Tomás

Museum of Oriental Art

This centre is located in the former stables of the PALACE OF LOS MÚJICA (TOWER OF LOS GUZMANES), where visitors can learn more about the culture of the Vettons, a people that settled in this area between the 5th century BC and the Roman occupation (mid-2nd century BC).

Its 12 rooms contain various aspects of this hill-fort people from the second Iron Age (who the Vettons were, their hill-forts and architecture, economy, society and funeral rites, etc.), with information about the hill-forts in the province.

It also has an area for temporary exhibitions containing other aspects of interest.

 

Museum of Natural Sciences

With specimens from all five continents, including vertebrates and invertebrates, it has an excellent collection of animal species that form part of the natural history office of the former General Study of the Order. Its function was to support the study of matter covered by the subject when photography was not commonplace.

 

Address: Plaza de Granada, 1, 05003, Ávila

Contact: Tel. +34 920 220 400

Website: www.monasteriosantotomas.com

 

Provincial Museum of Ávila

Created in 1913, the Provincial Museum of Ávila has been located in the HOUSE OF LOS DEANES since 1969. It has three sections: Archaeology (material culture), Fine Arts (pieces from the 13th to 20th centuries) and Ethnology (material culture in extinction).

It also uses the CHURCH OF SANTO TOMÉ EL VIEJO, which is situated in Plaza de Nalvillos too and has been converted into a storage area open to visitors. It contains Vetton animal sculptures; elements from Roman sepulchres; Visigoth and mediaeval sarcophaguses; Muslim and Christian funeral elements; Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architectural elements, etc. The Roman mosaic found in the village of Magazos and reconstructed in the centre of the nave is of particular interest.

 

Address: Plaza de Nalvillos, 3, 05001, Ávila.

Contact: Tel: +34 920 211 003

 

Museo del Ejército

Created in recent times, this museum is located in the PALACE OF POLENTINOS and is home to the Military History Archive. The building has been associated with the Army since 1875, initially as the Academy of the Administrative Corps of the Army and, from 1911 to 1992 (except for the period between 1931 and 1939), as a Service Corps Academy.

The museum-hall was created for the centenary of the Service Corps and has six areas that show the evolution of said corps from its creation to modern day. It also has emblematic elements of the corps (the first flag of the Academy, objects that correspond to the former academy, etc.).

 

Address: Calle Vallespín, 19, 05001, Ávila

Contact: Tel: +34 920 352 521

Website: www.ejercito.mde.es

 

Colección Caprotti

The Palace of Superunda was bought by the Italian painter Guido Caprotti, who had been associated with the town since 1916. Acquired by the Town Hall of Avila, it has recently been restored and there are plans for it to be used as a museum, with an exhibition of many of the works by the aforementioned artist.

 

Address: xxxxxxxxxx 05001, Ávila.

Contact: Tel. +34 920 xxx xxx

 

Palacio Superunda

Interior Palacio Polentinos

Interior Palacio Polentinos

Palacio Polentinos

Interior Museo de Ávila

Interior Museo de Ávila

Interior Museo de Ávila

Museo de Ávila (Palacio de los Deanes)

Torreón de los Guzmanes

Santo Tomé el Viejo

Santo Tomás

Centro de Interpretación de la Mística

Convento de San José – Las Madres

Monasterio de la Encarnación

Convento de la Santa

S.A.I. Catedral del Salvador - Museo Catedralicio