Home»What to See»Principal Monuments»Chapel of Mosén Rubí

Chapel of Mosén Rubí a combination of the late-Gothic and Renaissance styles

The plaza of the same name is home to an original building made up of the Hospital of La Anunciación (which became the convent of Dominican nuns after 1872) and the Chapel of Mosén Rubí, whose architecture is a combination of late-Gothic and Renaissance styles.

The apse is by Juan Campero and is in late-Gothic style with a polygonal layout. The corners are reinforced with buttresses and decorated with coats of arms and the typical Ávila-style beading on the edges. The nave is of Renaissance style, as is the main front, with a semi-circular arch and reinforced voussoirs, thought to be by Pedro de Tolosa and Pedro del Valle. It has a Greek-cross layout and the main chapel is covered by a ribbed vault (late-Gothic). The nave has a semi-flat vault separated from the main chapel by Renaissance arches.

The entire building is made of granite ashlar work, except for the ribbed vault, which is made of Caleno granite.

The cenotaph of the founders, Andrés Vázquez Dávila and María Herrera, is located in a central position.

It was designated a Site of Cultural Interest in 1983.

Mosen Rubi

PHONE
+34 920 211 587
SCHEDULE
closed until April for mounting the exposure Edades del Hombre