San Segundo the church in which the remains of St Segundo, patron saint of the town, were once kept

Situated on the banks of the River Adaja, this church was built in Caleno granite between 1130 and 1160. Before it was dedicated to St Segundo after the remains of the town's first Bishop were found in 1519, it had been dedicated to St Sebastian and St Lucia. The Bishop's remains were moved in 1615 with great pomp and ceremony to the chapel of St Segundo, which was built on to the apse of the Cathedral specifically as a final resting place.

The layout draws inspiration from the basilica style and has three naves and an upper end with three apses closed off with calotte and barrel vaults. Its slightly off-centre north-eastern orientation is probably due to the existence of an earlier church or an error made when the construction was being marked out. The southern porch has five archivolts set on columns and there are others of similar characteristics to the North and West, which were replaced in the 16th century. The structure of the naves was replaced in 1521 with a structure that shows Mudejar-style influences. Its current appearance is the result of refurbishment work that was carried out as from the 16th century.

The decoration with Romanesque sculptures is limited to a number of capitals with plant and figurative motifs. Inside, it boasts a sculpture of St Segundo in prayer by Juan de Juni.

There is a Roman altar stone opposite the west entrance that was found during recent archaeological work on the church.

It was designated a National Monument in 1923.

San Segundo

Consult Information about Accesibility

ERMITA DE SAN SEGUNDO

 

ACCESIBILIDAD FÍSICA

 

Entorno

 

-        La ermita está situada junto al río Adaja, para acceder a ella existen calles con pendiente pronunciada y pavimento adoquinado.

 

-        La ermita está rodeada por un atrio cerrado y ajardinado, existe un pasillo de entrada pavimentado.

 

Acceso principal

 

-        El acceso principal se realiza por la puerta sur. Habitualmente está media puerta abierta, por lo que no existen obstáculos en el acceso.

 

Distribución interior

 

-        Los pasillos de las naves del templo son bastante amplios, entre 100 y 300 cm. Se producen estrechamientos para acceder a la zona de la cabecera, debido a los huecos de paso que dejan las rejas de los ábsides.

 

ACCESIBILIDAD VISUAL

 

Acceso principal

 

-        El acceso principal se realiza por la puerta sur. Habitualmente está media puerta abierta, por lo que no existen obstáculos en el acceso.

 

Deambulación interior

 

-        Los pasillos de las naves del templo son bastante amplios, entre 100 y 300 cm. Se producen estrechamientos para acceder a la zona de la cabecera, debido a los huecos de paso que dejan las rejas de los ábsides.

 

Señalética

 

-        No existe señalética en el interior del templo.

 

ACCESIBILIDAD AUDITIVA

 

Accesibilidad general

 

-        El acceso al templo consta de dos puertas, siempre abiertas durante el horario de visita turística.

 

Señalética

 

-        No existe señalética en el interior del templo.

World Heritage Site
More Information about Accesibility (only in Spanish)
ENTRY

Closed to the general public