Avila Cathedral the fortress-church

Ávila Cathedral stands as both church and fortress and its apse, known locally as the cimorro and set in the walls, is the most imposing turret of the east wall.

Considered as the first Gothic cathedral in Spain, it stands on the remains of an original building that was devoted to El Salvador (The Saviour). In 1172, Alfonso VIII decided to extend the original building and commissioned the project to the French master builder, Fruchel. He was ordered to begin the consolidation of the current building in transitional Romanesque-Gothic style and took part in the construction of the Caleno granite apse (or cimorro), the ambulatory (which has conserved the original Romanesque windows), the first body of the transept and the foundations of the Caleno granite walls.

After his death, a second stage of construction brought in new materials and the use of granite ashlars; the project continued in Gothic style.

The building is of a clearly defined Burgundian style and stands on a Latin-cross layout made up of three naves, a transept and a semi-circular upper end with a double ambulatory and chapels set between the buttresses. It is flanked at the bottom end by two square-shaped towers (the one on the right is unfinished and the one on the left has been finished off with merlons and narrow windows) and covered by a groined vault whose ribs rest on semi-columns attached to the pillars that separate the naves, reinforced by pointed vault arches. In the difference of heights between the naves, there is a double body of stained-glass windows, which were damaged during the Lisbon earthquake in 1755 and had to be replaced.

The first body of the towers and the naves date from the 13th century and the second body of the towers, the cloister (finished in the 16th century) and the vaults and flying buttresses date from the 14th century. The entry porch (the door of the Apostles, from the 13th century) was removed and taken to the north wall in the second half of the 15th century; Juan Guas was the author of the new door on the west side. The roof as it is today was laid on top of the original granite roof in 1578 after the sidewalls had been built in brick. The work was completed at the end of the 16th century-beginning of the 17th century with the addition of a few chapels.

Inside the church, the following items are of particular interest:

  • The retrochoir. By Juan Rodríguez and Lucas Giraldo. Commissioned in 1531, it has Plateresque-style basreliefs showing scenes from the Bible of great artistic merit.
  • Ambulatory. Special mention must be made of the sepulchre of El Tostado (Vasco de la Zarza - from the first third of the 16th century), an essential piece of Spanish Renaissance work.
  • The choir. Made by various authors (1536-1547), this is also an essential piece.
  • Altarpiece of the Main Altar (1499-1512). By Pedro Berruguete, Santa Cruz and Borgoña, with influences from the Italian quattrocento and the Flemish School.
  • Altar of St Segundo. With highly symbolic basreliefs by Isidro Villoldo (1547).
  • Altar of St Catalina. Basreliefs completed in 1529, this work is by Juan Rodríguez and Lucas Giraldo.

It was designated a National Monument in 1949.

Catedral de Ávila

Consult Information about Accesibility

ACCESIBILIDAD FÍSICA

Entorno

  • Plaza peatonal llana con pavimento bien enrasado.
  • Existe plaza de aparcamiento reservado junto a la entrada principal.

Acceso principal

  • La entrada es accesible. Existen dos rampas. La primera con una longitud de 147 cm y ancho de 130 cm y con una pendiente del 17,6% y la segunda, situada en la cancela, con una longitud de 170 cm y con una pendiente del 10,5%.
  • La puerta de entrada deja un hueco de paso de 100 cm.

Mostrador de información

  • El acceso a la taquilla se hace por una puerta de apertura manual con un hueco de paso de 150 cm.
  • La taquilla está dentro de una cabina acristalada.
  • El mostrador de la taquilla está situado a una altura de 110 cm.
  • Los mostradores de venta de libros y recuerdos se encuentran situados a una altura de 106 y 111 cm.

Claustro

  • El pavimento es antideslizante, continuo y duro. El pavimento es de losas de piedra, por lo que ocasionalmente puede ser irregular.
  • Existen vitrinas situadas a una altura de 120 cm.

Iglesia

  • El acceso se realiza a través del claustro por dos puertas que dejan un hueco de paso de 160 cm y 109 cm, con un espacio intermedio que permite inscribir giros >150 cm
  • Los pasillos y zonas de paso tienen un ancho >150 cm y permiten la libre deambulación.
  • El espacio entre el coro y los bancos situados frente al altar mayor es de 80 cm.
  • El pavimento es antideslizante, continuo y duro. El pavimento es de losas de piedra por lo que ocasionalmente puede ser irregular.
  • La disposición de las obras y del mobiliario permite la libre deambulación.
  • Las guías auditivas están situadas a una altura de 136 cm.

Museo

  • La puerta de acceso al museo se encuentra en el interior de la iglesia y deja un hueco de paso de 120 cm.
  • El acceso entre las 6 salas se realiza bien a la misma cota o bien mediante rampas con longitud entre 105 y 136 cm y pendientes comprendidas entre 11,3 y 14,7%.
  • Las distintas salas se encuentran comunicadas entre sí por huecos de paso con un ancho de entre 115 y 220 cm. Existe una puerta de salida al claustro con un hueco de paso de 85 cm con travesaño de madera de 3 cm.
  • Las zonas de paso tienen un ancho >400 cm y permiten la libre deambulación.
  • El pavimento es antideslizante, continuo y duro.
  • La disposición de las obras y del mobiliario permite la libre deambulación.
  • Las guías auditivas están situadas a una altura de 136 cm.

ACCESIBILIDAD VISUAL

Acceso principal

  • Las puertas de acceso se encuentran abiertas durante el horario de visita.
  • Existen dos rampas. La primera con una longitud de 147 cm y ancho de 130 cm y con una pendiente del 17,6% y la segunda, situada en la cancela, con una longitud de 170 cm y con una pendiente del 10,5%.
  • La puerta de acceso a la taquilla está acristalada y señalizada mediante bandas. Es de apertura manual.
  • Existe un plano en la entrada de grandes dimensiones con la planta y espacios del templo.

Deambulación interior

  • El mobiliario está ubicado correctamente y no constituye obstáculo.

Señalética

  • Los carteles en el interior del templo están situados a una altura de 100-140 cm y el tamaño de los caracteres es de 1,2 cm.
  • Los carteles en el museo están situados a una altura de 160 cm y el tamaño de los caracteres es de 1,5 cm. Las cartelas están a una altura de 100-160 cm.
  • La señalética no está en braille ni en altorrelieve.

ACCESIBILIDAD AUDITIVA

Accesibilidad general

  • Las puertas de acceso se encuentran abiertas durante el horario de visita.
  • xiste un plano en la entrada de grandes dimensiones con la planta y espacios del templo.

Mostrador de información

  • La taquilla se encuentra dentro de una cabina acristalada.
  • Se entrega información escrita sobre el monumento.
  • El personal no tiene conocimiento de lengua de signos.

Señalética

  • Dispone de carteles informativos de las distintas obras expuestas.
World Heritage Site
More Information about Accesibility (only in Spanish) Visit with visitAvila Tourist Card
PHONE
+34 920 211 641
SCHEDULE

From monday to Friday : 10,00 to 17.00.

Saturday: 10,00 to 18,00.

Sunday and public holiday: 12,00 to 17,00.

Last visit 45 minutes before closing time.

ENTRY

Individual:  €.

Group : 3,5 €.

 

The opening times and prices of the monuments are set by each establishment.