Home»What to See»Principal Monuments»Church and Convent of St Teresa

Church and Convent of St Teresa the place where Teresa of Jesus was born

The church was built on the house in which Teresa de Cepeda y Ahumada was born and is part of the Carmelite convent. Underground, the large vaulted burial crypt, which is currently used as the Museum of St Teresa, is the only example of its kind in Spanish religious architecture. The work was directed by the Carmelite architect Fray Alonso de San José and began in 1629. The building was opened on 15 October 1636.

In the purest Carmelite Baroque style, the church has a Latin-cross layout with a central nave and four chapels on each side. With the main altar in the northwest, it does not keep to established liturgical orientation as the presbytery was built to coincide with the room in which Teresa of Jesus was born. The entrance to the chapel of St Teresa opens up on the right arm of the transept and coincides with the area in which her family home once stood, together with the 'small garden where the saint prayed' opposite.

The front, which was designed in the style of an altarpiece, is separated into three bodies, giving prominence to the marble statue of the saint and the coats of arms of the Cepeda and Ahumada families, the Order of the Barefoot Carmelites, that of the Duke of Olivares, that of the Governor and that of Doctor of the Church.

Inside, the sculptures by Gregorio Fernández (17th century) and his school are of particular interest.

The plaza is also home to a room containing relics and remains and a small souvenir shop.

In 1886, the church and convent were designated a Historical Monument.

Convento de la Santa

Consult Information about Accesibility

CONVENTO DE LA SANTA

 

ACCESIBILIDAD FÍSICA

 

Entorno

 

-        El convento está situado en una plaza peatonal, dividida en dos alturas, comunicadas mediante una rampa de 450 cm de longitud, 155 cm. de anchura y una pendiente del 6%.

 

Acceso principal

 

-        El acceso principal a la iglesia se realiza por la zona superior de la plaza, mediante una pasarela que tiene un ancho de 120 cm. La meseta de la entrada tiene 150 cm. de ancho. Primeramente se accede al pórtico de la iglesia mediante un hueco de paso de 210 cm. En el interior del pórtico existe una rampa, de 300 cm. de longitud y con una pendiente del 6,5%, tiene el mismo ancho que el pórtico, por lo que afecta a las tres puertas de entrada, dos laterales, de doble hoja, que dejan un hueco libre de paso de 63 cm. cada hoja y una central que se abre ocasionalmente.

 

Distribución interior

 

-        El espacio interior está distribuido en tres naves, que dejan unos pasillos cuyo ancho libre es superior a 150 cm.

 

-        Existe un hueco de paso para acceder a la capilla de la Santa que tiene un ancho libre de 104 cm. Frente a éste hay otro hueco de paso que da acceso a la huerta de Santa Teresa, que deja un ancho libre de 76,5 cm.

 

ACCESIBILIDAD VISUAL

 

Acceso principal

 

-        El acceso principal a la iglesia se realiza por la zona superior de la plaza, mediante una pasarela que tiene un ancho de 120 cm. La meseta de la entrada tiene 150 cm. de ancho. Primeramente se accede al pórtico de la iglesia mediante un hueco de paso de 210 cm. En el interior del pórtico existe una rampa, de 300 cm. de longitud y con una pendiente del 6,5%, tiene el mismo ancho que el pórtico, por lo que afecta a las tres puertas de entrada, dos laterales, de doble hoja, que dejan un hueco libre de paso de 63 cm. cada hoja y una central que se abre ocasionalmente.

 

 

Deambulación interior

 

-        El espacio interior está distribuido en tres naves, que dejan unos pasillos cuyo ancho libre es superior a 150 cm. y están libres de obstáculos.

 

Señalética

 

-        La señalética sigue un patrón constante, con textos en castellano y en inglés.

 

 

ACCESIBILIDAD AUDITIVA

 

Accesibilidad general

 

-        La puerta de entrada es manual de fácil apertura.

 

Señalética

 

La señalética sigue un patrón constante, con textos en castellano y en inglés.

More Information about Accesibility (only in Spanish)
PHONE
+34 920 211 030
SCHEDULE

Relics Room:

Everyday  09,30 to 13,30 &  15,30 a 19,00 h.

Free.

 

Church:

09,30  to 13,30 & 15,30 to 20,00

friday  9,30 to 13,30 & 16,00 to 20,00

 

Museum closed from 7 to 29 January

 10,00 to 13,30 &  15,30 to 17,30.

 

closed Monday

Last visit 30 minutes before closing time

 

 

ENTRY

Individual: 2 €

Group:  1,5 €Â 

The opening times and prices of the monuments are set by each establishment.