The walls a prime example of Spanish Romanesque military architecture

Besides the archaeological evidence that suggests an original wall from the late-antiquity period (fifth century), set around a small area, the walls date from the Middle Ages. With a perimeter of 2516 m (around an area of 33 ha), 87 turrets, 9 gates and 2 small gates and 2500 merlons, the walls of Ávila are the best-conserved example of their kind in the world.

Palaces built on the interior formed a second line of defence against popular revolts and/or enemy attacks on the town.

The date of their construction is a matter of controversy. Some authors suggest that, in keeping with tradition, they were built at the end of the 11th century, while others consider that most of the construction work took place during the second half of the 12th century-beginning of the 13th century, as is the case of neighbouring military constructions.

Built on rock foundations, the walls stand as a powerful defence construction made of granite masonry, filled with stone and mortar. It has an irregular quadrilateral shape that is almost a rectangle and positioned longitudinally from East to West. Its construction began on the most vulnerable side (the east), where there are no natural elements of defence, which is why it is the most robust and grandiose side of the walls. The walls have a thickness of 3 m and a height of 12 m. There is a semi-circular turret every 20 m, standing 8 m above the height of the walls and this side has the largest and most solid gates.

The gates on the north and west sides are less majestic and the turrets show signs of work by Mudejar builders (brickwork). The south side gives the impression of depletion and the size of the masonry work decreases. It has smaller semi-cylindrical towers set further apart and gives an overall sensation of reduced resistance and robustness.

The east side has a large amount of reused Roman materials (steles, altar stones, urns, cupae, cornices, animal statues and columns, etc.) thought to come from the dismantling of an early Roman necropolis that was once located in the area.

In the 16th century, it was still used for economic control and health safety purposes and reforms were carried out to repair the walls; however, after the danger of war had disappeared, the decision was taken to remove some of the additional defence items (barbicans, moats, etc.), which had become ineffective against the military machines used at the time.

The repair and restoration work before their designation as a National Monument on 24 March 1884 was of a sporadic nature. However, two events led to it being used again for defence purposes: the French occupation (1809-1812) and the Carlist wars (1836-1840).

The work carried out later was supervised by the state and focused on the maintenance, restoration and artistic conservation of the walls as national heritage to favour their function as one of the city's sites of interest.

At the end of the 19th century, certain intellectual circles advocated the demolition of the walls in keeping with what was happening in other European cities as they were considered a barrier to urban development. The Town Hall's insistence and the lack of finance for the demolition work prevented their ideas from being put into practice.

In 1982, the old town was designated a Site of Cultural Interest (under the category of Historical Site) by Spanish Royal Decree 3940/1982 and it was designated a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO in 1985.

Much of the walls can be visited and accessed by all citizens at the places known as the House of Las Carnicerías, the Gate of El Alcázar and the Gate of El Puente. Audio guides are available in seven languages and there is also a special version for children.


BUY TICKETS


Lienzo Norte

Consult Information about Accesibility

ACCESIBILIDAD FÍSICA

Entorno

  • El acceso Puerta del Puente está situado en una calle con pavimento empedrado, en ligera cuesta.
  • La acera está situada al mismo nivel que la calzada.
  • Existe una plaza de aparcamiento reservado junto a la entrada al recinto.

Acceso principal

  • Acceso formado por una puerta corredera, siempre abierta, que deja un hueco de paso de 270 cm.

Mostrador de información y vestíbulo

  • El mostrador de atención al público tiene una altura de 80 cm. Habitualmente se atiende al público de forma personalizada, fuera del mostrador.
  • El espacio del vestíbulo es amplio y permite la inscripción de giros de 150 cm.
  • El suelo es antideslizante, continuo y duro.
  • El mobiliario está ubicado correctamente y no constituye obstáculo.

Rampas de acceso al adarve de la muralla

El acceso al adarve de la muralla se realiza mediante tres rampas consecutivas:

  • La primera rampa tiene una longitud de 1250 cm. con un 7% de pendiente. El pavimento de este tramo es de piedra.
  • La segunda rampa tiene una longitud de 1790 cm. con un 8.7% de pendiente. El pavimento es de piedra y dispone de doble pasamanos situado a 70 y 94 cm. en uno de los lados.
  • La tercera rampa tiene una longitud de 1670 cm. con un 7% de pendiente. El pavimento es de madera y dispone de pasamanos a ambos lados, situado a una altura de 73 cm.
  • Todas las rampas presentan un ancho de 130 cm.
  • Existe elevador alternativo para las dos primeras rampas.

Aseo adaptado en zona común

  • Hay 1 aseo común adaptado para ambos sexos en la planta baja con itinerario accesible.
  • La puerta de acceso es manual de fácil apertura y deja un hueco de paso de 75 cm. En el interior se puede inscribir una circunferencia de 150 cm.
  • El asiento del inodoro está situado a una altura de 43 cm y el mecanismo de descarga está a 100 cm.
  • Tiene un espacio de acceso por el lado izquierdo de 75 cm. y por el frontal de 140 cm.
  • Hay una barra abatible en el lado izquierdo, situada a una altura de 75 cm
  • El espacio libre inferior del lavabo es de 83 cm y el fondo es de 30 cm. La grifería es monomando.
  • Los accesorios del baño están a una altura de 90 cm y el borde inferior del espejo está a 108 cm.

Elevador

  • Comunica el mostrador de información con el inicio de la tercera rampa.
  • La puerta de acceso es acristalada y tiene un hueco de paso de 80 cm.
  • Las dimensiones interiores son de 97 cm de ancho y 125 cm de fondo
  • Los botones exteriores de llamada se encuentran a una altura de 98 cm y los interiores a 98 cm.

ACCESIBILIDAD VISUAL

Acceso principal

  • La puerta de acceso al recinto está siempre abierta en horario de visita.
  • No hay escalones o desniveles que dificulten el paso.

Recepción y zonas comunes

  • El mobiliario está ubicado correctamente y no constituye obstáculo.

Señalética

  • No existen paneles que indiquen los diferentes itinerarios del recinto.

Elevador

  • La botonera está en braille y en altorrelieve.
  • No ofrece información sonora de parada en planta.
  • No dispone de pavimento tacto-visual en la zona de embarque.

ACCESIBILIDAD AUDITIVA

Accesibilidad general

  • La puerta de acceso está siempre abierta en horario de visita.

Mostrador de información

  • No existen paneles que indiquen los diferentes itinerarios del recinto.
  • Se ofrece información escrita a todos los visitantes.

Aseos comunes

  • Las puertas no tienen sistema de información visual de ocupado/libre.
  • Las puertas no tienen banda libre inferior que permita la comunicación con el exterior.

Señalética

  • No existe señalética que indique las distintas dependencias

Elevador

  • La puerta del elevador es acristalada.
  • No dispone de información visual en el interior de la cabina
  • No dispone de dispositivo de emergencia con señal luminosa.
World Heritage Site
More Information about Accesibility (only in Spanish) Visit with visitAvila Tourist Card
PHONE
+34 920 354 045
FLIGHT OF STAIRS
 

 

The house of Las Carnicerías, the gate of El Alcázar, the gate of El Carmen and the gate of El Puente

SCHEDULE
From October 22 to 21 March from 10.00 to 18.00 . Closed Monday


24,25, 31 December and 1 january closed



6 and 7 January  open. 8 January closed

Summer schedule

From April 1 to June 30 from 10.00 to 20.00. monday open

From July 1 to August 31 from 10.00 to 21.00. monday open

From September 1 to October 28 from 10.00 to 20.00. monday open

Last access

Gate of Álcazar: 30 m. before closing.
The house of Las Carnicerías, the gate of El Carmen and the gate of El Puente 45m before clos
ENTRY

Price:

Individual :5 €.

Reduced: 3,5 €

Free: Tuesdays from 14:00 to 16:00 except public holidays and eve of public holidays. BIC monument


BUY TICKETS