Home»What to See»Principal Monuments»Convent of El Carmen

Convent of El Carmen today the Provincial History Archive

Built on to the interior of the walls next to what is known today as the Gate of El Carmen and on the former site of the Roman Church of San Silvestre, the Monastery of El Carmen Calzado was founded in the 15th century.

In 1670, the prior asked the King for permission to build a steeple on the walls next to the monastery, since the poor conditions of the convent were a danger to any construction built on it. Carlos II gave his permission and a graceful steeple was erected on the allure of the walls.

It was later destroyed during the War of Independence. Following its reconstruction, it was given various uses, including that of Provincial Prison after the Civil War. It has been refurbished and is currently used as the Provincial History Archive.

SCHEDULE

administrative building